Sunday, August 21, 2016


MAKING PROGRESS IN THE LAST LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER

Four blocks and the quilting sampler are finished. All four of the blocks are based on Chuck Nohara's but on one I really riffed.










Fuchsias have always been a favorite of mine.  My mother grew them when I was a child in California.  I was drawn to this block and the idea of fruit hanging from a limb.  I was not sure about the pears and from there the block gradually morphed into the fuchsias after a bit of playing around with fruit and flowers. I think this one is my all time favorite.

The other Chuck blocks are more straightforward reproductions.



You can see this is a close copy-the only change I made was in making the center circle small to exaggerate the mirror image look.  Chuck's block looks very Oriental-I keep thinking "I Ching" probably due to the fabrics she choose to make her block and the design symmetry.



I love yellow and this block combines that with another favorite-twisty stems.  I like the way this one came together.  More definition will be added to the leaves during machine quilting. Chuck makes some bold and fluid designs.


And lastly another leafy sort of wreath:





I used a leaf from each of the aqua flowered prints from the different collections used in the quilt and then used rose as an accent.  


~~~~~~~

I finished the sampler from the Sit Down Free Motion Quilters facebook group.  This sampler was fun to do with some squares being hard and some easier.  I felt like I learned a lot.  The SDFMQ's did a very professional job in designing and teaching this learner's sampler.  I have gained confidence and am ready to do more. It is not to late to sign up if you want to make this sampler.


You can see the quilting is far from perfect but if you wait for perfect, nothing will happen!  I think I will do some wild and crazy doodle stuff next.

~~~~~~~

Applique Paintbox has three new international visitors this past week:  Serbia, South Korea, and the Isle of Man.  Admittedly, I had to look up this last knowing only its association with England.  The Isle of Man is a small island in the Irish sea between England and Northern Ireland.  It is not a part of the United Kingdom but is self governing and crown dependent (like the Channel Islands? New Zealand?).  All three of the flags of these countries have proudly added to the list of international visitors.

~~~~~~~

With these three photos, we have come to the end of the Caswell quilt demonstration. 

These two blocks I adapted from the Caswell carpet itself. You can see my favorite twisty stems and leaves.  Snails, ladybugs. a butterfly, and a hungry hummer all add to the garden.  I find more and more that embroidery is creeping into my applique. You can see it in the stems, the flower details, and the snail shells.






These two blocks I also designed directly from the Caswell carpet though you can see Threadbear's influence in the blue flower block.  The bird block was made then remade about 6 times until I got it right.




I don't know where this block came from except I wanted more dragonflies and you have to have a water source to have dragonflies.  Ergo-a bird bath complete with bird, flowers and berries.


There are other blocks that I have not shown but I am ready to move on to display another quilt.  Since I have completed about 20 appliqued quilts before I began blogging, there is lots to show. 

HAPPY QUILTING!

 I will be linking up this week with the lovely linkies listed left!






24 comments:

  1. Your blocks are just beautiful, each one just gmakes me smile as I scroll through to read you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fischia block is very good. I do not have your talent for drawing.
    The Caswell blocks are wonderful. Love everyone of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is so amazing. Wish I could see all the beautiful quilts in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fuschias are lovely Pam and I have enjoyed seeing your Caswell. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fuschias. They are nice and pointy and the embroidery really adds a nice effect. I love the thistles, too. The yellows all stand out so well against the background. Love the paisley twirl in the middle of Block 2. You do such nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much lovely eye candy here today!!! Chuck blocks - LOVE that yellow one! And fuschias - always a favorite - and such a creative way to make that block your own. As always the Caswell blocks blow me away - love the beautiful dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Chuck blocks are amazing. I really like the fabrics you have chosen to use.
    What size are you making your blocks?
    I have the book but haven’t figured out how to enlarge them into a workable size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are gorgeous. Your work just takes my breath away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And just when I think your last block was my favorite... FUSCHIAS! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is so inspiring, love all your blocks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do such beautiful applique! Love your FMQ sampler, too. I went over to Facebook and joined that group - would love to have a way to learn and practice that type of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing your blocks all of them, Pam! I love the birds.The quilting project is great!

    Have a nice stitching week.
    Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh so much to see and learn from, I have so enjoyed my visit today. you have been so busy, love the yellow thistles and the Fuchsias, my mum also used to grow them and as a child they were like dancing fairies to me so so beautiful in their tutu's!!!!!! Im so enjoying seeing how you adapt so many of these blocks Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so beautiful and inspiring - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--so much beautiful applique this week--and your machine quilting is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, wunderschƶn!!! Ich liebe Chuck Nohara!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always like to pick a favourite from your block list each post, but this was hard... I think the yellow one is my fave this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice applique....fun to see your FMQ sampler...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely gorgeous blocks! Love the colors and the artistry of the blocks. Just wow!

    ReplyDelete