Sunday, May 7, 2017

IN WHICH I GO AWOL FOR A WEEK AND IGNORE MY RESPONSIBILITIES 
(WHAT FUN!)

 I guess just laying out accomplishments for the past year and thinking about the upcoming year totally flummoxed me and I escaped into netflix bingeing and irregular hours.  It did not help that my husband was away from home this week-as I told you before, we live in each others pockets so when he is gone, I am half a person searching for my other half.  

I am beginning to regain some equilibrium and played with my lovely new Derwent Inktense pencils.  WOW are these nice.  Here is the quick and easy project I have been working on.  I first double stitch quilted the design
and then painted in the colors.  I used 8 colors and I used aloe vera as a fixative-not that I know anything about this but just what I have read from other designers who use Derwent Inktense.  

I think this is very pretty and I love the colors.  Here is the quilted version before painting:
In a way, it is hard to be presented with a tabla rasa-a blank canvas- with no limitations or hints as to how to proceed.  Limitations really help a designer. 

This design is from Edith Choiniere.  She has a free design each month.  Her webpage is:

https://edithchoiniere.wixsite.com/collection-inedith/pff-patterns-free-forever

She has interesting designs and is generous with her ideas and teachings.



YEARLY 
VISITATION


Once a year for a couple weeks in the spring, we are visited by Red breasted Grosbecks.  One is at the birdfeeder as I write.  They are colored as if painted by an artist with an eye to perfect composition.  My photos do not do this justice to this bird's beauty.





AND NOW...
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN!
(I love purple)

Ah spring!  and what is more appropriate to the season than flowers especially beautiful, many colored tulips and tulip fields from Holland:



The obligatory windmill!




 The fields are unbelievable themselves in their color and beauty let alone a single tulip!  They look like abstract art!  If you follow Aunt Reen's blog
 http://auntreensplace.blogspot.com/ 
 you know she is in Holland right now exploring quilt shops and everything else she can find in Holland.  Maybe she is seeing some of these beautiful fields.

That's all for this week.  Happy quilting until we meet again!


I am linking up with:
Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog,Patchwork Times,  Em's Scrapbag, BOMS,
Esther's Wow, Let's Bee Social,Whoop Whoop, and Off the Wall Friday, and Finish or Not!



18 comments:

  1. I love those Inktense pencils and paints - they have brought your design to life beautifully. What a stunning bird and those fields of tulips would make great patchwork. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you even imagine seeing all these fields of colour?!? Wow!
    Enjoy your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intensity of the colours in that design. The birds and fields of tulips are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen that bird before! Great that you get to see them a few weeks a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for those beautiful pictures. Your quilted design is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a grosbeak in real life. What a handsome fellow! Lots of beauty in your post today. Your quilted then painted dream catcher is lovely, and your tulip fields photos make me want to stitch up a quilt that matches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your work in the top picture; I can see that you too are a lover of bright colours :-)
    Thanks for the link,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever I visit to see and read something new. It's lovely and what a great way to keep the love of quilting interesting. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You work is beautiful - love those bright colors! Your writing style is honest and gentle with a touch of humor! Such a pleasure to read. Have begun to follow you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My gosh this project is turning out beautifully! We have rose breasted grosbeaks here too and I love spying them; of course, the female has none of the glorious colours of the male. Aren't those field just amazing. So much beauty in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fabulous piece you are working On! Your machine stitched design is gorgeous and colored in beautiful. Pretty pictures of those sweet little birds. Wonderful aerial views of the tulip fields, their country is breathtaking to see in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh, what an exciting post! I can see myself getting interested in these techniques.And thank you for showing lots to drool over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I've been AWOL myself lately, so we're Kindred Spirits in Procrastination! 2. Those ink pens are gorgeous! I wonder if they would work to adjust colors and/or embellishments to commercial print fabrics as well? Very interested in reading more about them. 3. The tulip field photos look like QUILTS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The effect with the pencils is awesome! So cool!
    Thanks for sharing the tulip pictures. I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so multi talented Pam. Your pencil work project is wonderful. I have never heard of a Grosbek, we don't have them on my part of the world, he is stunning, as is your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Pam - so much goodness in this post :) Those pencils really yield a nice result, although I doubt I could make them look as nice as your piece! I was just visiting my father's house on the other side of the mountains, and they had a beautiful little passer-through at their feeders. We found out it is a Lazuli Bunting, and I was glad I got to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. FYI - Since Judy Laquidara is no longer doing "Design Wall Mondays", I talked to her and got permission to continue Design Wall Mondays at my blog: http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

    I hope to see your posts on future Mondays, Judy Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. How's your sewing progressing? I see you have had a blog break :) it'd be lovely to see some eye candy from your appliqué and sewing:) I hope you're well

    ReplyDelete