Monday, January 15, 2018

IN WHICH WE WELCOME IN 2018 BY TAKING A HIKE THRU SNOW IN -1 (F)!



and we are not talking wind chills here either! That slight glow in the sky is the sun. You can see the ice which formed on my hair from my breath. COOO-OLD!

The beginning of a new year is always a good time to look forward and make plans for the future.  I have settled on three projects on which to work.  Some painting, some old-timey feel, some realism-a variety of possibilities.

1.  Sweet William


This is the "old-timey".   This quilt has an antique look which I love plus the color yellow.  I am striving to use fabrics such as reproduction fabrics which will adapt to an aged look.  May have to do some tea dyeing also.I have not yet received the pattern yet so I cannot show detail photos.  This project seems like a good one to work intermittently and will enable me to switch back and forth on projects.  The pattern maker is Susan Smith, an Australian designer.

2.  Feathered Friends BOM with Helen Godden

Another Aussie designer!  (they are my favorite!) This BOM is different.  For about $60 US, you can access a link and each month beginning Feburary 1, Helen will post a new downloadable pattern.  This exciting fun of this BOM is that the designs are is painted on using Jacquard Lumiere paints, and then quilted in the most charming ways.  No applique this time.
There are nine 14" blocks all of which are of Aussie birds!  I can't wait for Feb 1!  I have ordered my paints and some new sized brushes, and have the black kona pfd (prep for dyeing) fabric so I am ready.  Here is a link to Helen's facebook page describing her class if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzcwjTD3XCc
You can google Helen Godden to find her webpage-for some reason I could not get the link right.

3.  Sandra Leichner's Naturalist's Notebook block series.

Here is the first block which is 9.5 square :


This is block number 1 and it is relatively simple just applique and embroidery. The end result is very naturalistic.  These blocks require a lot of batiks and, as time goes on, more and more sophisticated techniques.  You can see this pattern and the other 10 on her webpage under "shop":
http://sandraleichner.com/
I have lots of batiks but I also will be tinting the fabric here and there to create more tones and variations with my Caran D'ache pastels.

Soooo....that is me all sorted for awhile!  I am looking forward to receiving the Sweet William pattern and beginning the search for the correct yellow gingham, and for Feb 1 to roll around.

And a jigsaw puzzle for your moment of zen:
Pretty tricky I betcha!


Happy quilting to you until we meet again!


I am linking up with:
Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog, Making Monday,  Em's Scrapbag, Esther's Wow, 
Let's Bee Social, Whoop Whoop, and Finish or Not!, Off the Wall Friday.



20 comments:

  1. Nice selection of new projects. I once got a Dear Jane by Brenda Papadakis yellow gingham reproduction fabric. I wonder if there is still any out there in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sweet william quilt! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch with that -1! I just finished reading a book called The Children's Blizzard (January 1888 in several of the Plains states) and am super aware of what the cold can do to us. Good thing you wrapped up well.

    Love your plans for the new year. Sweet William is gorgeous and I love, love, love the Naturalist's Notebook. I can't wait to see how you interpret those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brrrr! Brave you out in the cold! Your projects are so interesting! I never realized how yellow could "age" a quilt - thank you for teaching me this! I sure appreciate the variety of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have some beautiful projects planned for the year. Have a great year and enjoy your projects. I'll enjoy reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Negative one degrees?!! Uff da! Where do you live, Pam?! And here I was dreading my morning walk with a girlfriend today because it's 20 degrees outside in Charlotte, NC right now. I love your yarn hat that lets your hair pop out the top -- where did you get that? And your new projects look great, all of them. I especially love those naturalistic birdies and I'm going to enjoy seeing your progress with that one. Can you please share more about how you tint your applique with pastels. The Esther Aliu BOM that I'm started mentioned tinting the applique with colored pencils and some kind of textile medium. I've never done anything like that and don't know which products to use or how to make it permanent on fabric. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some beautiful and ambitious projects for the NY. Love that you have a variety of techniques to hold your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your temps mirror ours here in the Wisconsin northwoods...we heat with wood and have gone through more than normal. Your projects look to involve lots of wonderful handwork with an extensive fabric palette...oh my and a Sandra Leichner project...the cream of the crop when it comes to applique! Good to see your post - you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so cold! You are so brave to go out in that weather. But then, I get cold when it's under 74 - lol. Your projects are beautiful and will bring you much satisfaction as you complete them. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two little birdie projects! Those both look like they will be so pretty. Love the photo of you with only your eyeballs showing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, three big projects started!How exciting! I must go back to read where everyone is getting their free BOMs from this year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made the Sweet William quilt, well, I've finished all the applique blocks and just have to put it together with the alternate blocks. I think this quilt has been the one that I have enjoyed the most putting together. The blocks are all so different. It's like opening a box of chocolates and deciding which one to eat next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year a. That jigsaw looks amazing! xxnd so lovely to find you in my inbox again! Beautiful projects to work on - I love the Sweet William design

    ReplyDelete
  14. So my comment seems to be a bit back to front but I think it is all there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty bird projects, not sure about the jigsaw it looks amazing, love sweet William. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  16. Three varied projects, they will keep you busy. I do love the wren, and such a lovely bird which sadly seems to be in decline in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your participation this week at the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so happy to see you here. I was just thinking I must send Pam a little message. Wonderful projects as always and I for one will love to watch these unfold in your capable hands. Happy Stitching. Stay warm...advice that applies to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam, you have such nice projects chosen! I have never done fabric paints - have to say, that looks enticing. The naturalist series reminds me of the Audubon quilt kit I have. I need to plan when I will pull that out.

    ReplyDelete