Sunday, October 23, 2016

SO FAR.....................

 I added two more triangles this week plus revised one which was too soft to fit the mood of the vibrant colors. I am almost halfway though making the triangles-not that speed counts-it doesn't.  I am just amazed at the contrast between the never-ending Chuck, Susan, and Me and this quilt.

Here is a nice purple flower. 


The petals of the smaller flowers are Kaffe fabric as are the dots and the leaves.  When I started none of the Kaffe fabric matched but now it does.  Another good example of the quilt taking over regardless of what I decide.  Isn't the leaf fabric beyond belief!!

Wow!  yellow and orange flower!  I love yellow.  The plums are Kaffe fabric.



Here is the block I revised:

New version with vivid blue hexie flower with rose center.  The blues in the little flowers respond better to this combination of rose and teal.  
The only change is the hexie flower which seemed weak in the original being a shade of powder blue which does not really align with the other vibrant colors.









                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, it has been a depressing week.  In the middle of fmq practice, my beloved Juki froze.  It is only nine months old and has not seen that much use.  I also oil and clean after each bobbin.  I bought it online from Sewing Machines Plus.  So far, I have not been able to speak to a service rep but it is early days. I bought the Juki online because they never have problems.  I will keep you updated.  Everything may work out just fine.  I have a nice Pfaff so I am not entirely bereft.

Anyway...here is some fmq practice I was able to do.



Now before you get excited about how talented I am, I copied this design.  The original design is by Valerie Smith.  You can see  a photo of her design in Machine Quilting Unlimited Jul/Aug 2016.

Valerie used a matching thin thread and a loftier batting.  Her article in this issue is a wonderful one about thread weight and the difference it makes in the final quilt.  Mostly I have used monofilament or 100 wt but the thread in my practice piece is a variegated 50 wt.  My aim is to expand my thread horizons.

I am also following Lori Kennedy at Inbox Jaunt.  She is making a weekly sunflower sampler.  We have completed week 2-the flower center.  I am quilting with 30 wt thread -Madeira rayon embroidery thread-I have a couple spools of this.  So first 50 wt and now 30 wt.  Okay-where is that rut?
Since I plan to use dissolving basting thread when stabilizing Caswell, I am trying it out here-both bobbin and top-thread just to see how it sews and if it really works.  It seems to be a major success!

Well, that's all for now.  Here is hoping I cheer up and my Juki issues are resolved.  In the meantime, some linkies are calling my name:  Bambi's show and tell, Em's Scrapbag, Patchwork times, Esther's blog, Let's Bee Social, Whoop-Whoop and Off the wall Friday.

Happy Quilting!!

26 comments:

  1. Wow! Your triangle blocks are terrific. I've never seen anything like them. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choice of bright prints is wonderful. I am loving this quilt. The powder blue hexie may have bothered me for a bit. Overall, I am unsure if it would have made a difference. We are our own worse critics. The change to the darker blue is amazing and I am sure you are well satisfied. Sorry about your machine troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your choice of bright prints is wonderful. I am loving this quilt. The powder blue hexie may have bothered me for a bit. Overall, I am unsure if it would have made a difference. We are our own worse critics. The change to the darker blue is amazing and I am sure you are well satisfied. Sorry about your machine troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower blocks are fantastic! I love all the fussy cutting you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More gorgeous colour - beautiful. What a shame about your machine, I hope you get it fixed soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful the bright flowers and plums. I really like how you use the prints of the fabric. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you have had this question before but can not find your answer. But what is the pattern name of the applique? Love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your applique blocks are so pretty! You are going to have your quilt top finished before mine. I need to get to my pieced triangles. I like your background fabric, your bright colors are perfect. And your FMQ is lovely too. I'm pretty much a straight line person. Happy sewing! Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love every one of your triangles. They are all so colorful and bright. This will be a wowser quilt. Good for you for experimenting with threads and new quilting designs. It is great practice and opens up new possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really gorgeous. Your background is so fun with the bright colors playing the scales! Hope your Juki melts back to normal without a lot of help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing work! I can only hope that my applique even comes close to yours! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another wow block, looking fantastic, love all your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabric selection is amazing especially the background for the applique - how neat is this!
    Do you live in the USA? Are you making the quilt with all of Kaffe Fasset fabric? I was going to make mine in 1930's, but rethinking that one for next year. What fabric are you using for the background of the flowers?

    Beautiful work as always! And as always you inspire me. (Inspire me to get a full time maid so I do not have anything to do but quilt!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your latest block revisions and your free motion quilting designs are looking gorgeous!
    So sorry to hear about your Juki problems! I hope you are able to get this fixed and/or resolved quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your background fabric for the applique triangles also add interest to the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many thanks for your inspiration and link to the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi Hug

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Juki also and have had no trouble with it the person I bought it from bought it from the same place you did on line and then she sold it to me after six months as she decided it wasn't the machine for her I have been very happy with it I hope you can get it fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! I love how your triangles are coming along! Sorry you're having such trouble with your Juki. I hope it gets fixed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is very beautiful work. I love the colours in your applique and the background fabric. Also love the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful applique and quilting work here as always! :) I hope that the sewing machine problem gets resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your triangles look fabulous. The colors are bright and happy without being overwhelming. Nicely done. Sorry about the sick sewing machine. Sometimes it helps to take all the thread off, clean really well and then thread it up again and give it a try. Doesn't always work but it might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The color change was a good decision. Sometimes redoing is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your applique blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. a very pretty quilt. Some of Dragonfly Studio patterns are now sold through Craftsy but I looked and this one is not listed - I did find a wall hanging though that sure looked familiar and I have it - I don't know how long ago I bought it - it sure has been a long time I know that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. your flowers looks singing and dancing over the music lines in note . I loved them a lot

    http://myeleganthome.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to say, that somehow, someway fabric comes into my life just when I need it.

    ReplyDelete