TWO NEW TECHNIQUES LEARNED ON RAGGETY RUFF'S "SECRET GARDEN"
First: use of inktense blocks to create texture of wood grain. I drew the lines of the board of gate heavily using inktense pencil saddle brown (one of my favorites) then....
I dragged the inkense block across the dry fabric to create the look of grain in the wood
For technique number two I placed the piece in my big 14 inch embroider hoop, stretching it very tight. I wanted to paint the sky is a soft blue.
After it was in the hoop, I sprayed it with water until it was wet. It did not matter if other painted areas got wet as these areas are already set by heat. They can be painted over but will not bleed. I got out my bright blue block, wet my brush and stroked it over the block, Since the fabric was damp the inktense flowed across the fabric with the water in my brush. (makes me want to take up water color painting-the effect was the same). Around the edges and close to the other elements, I used a small round brush.
This is a pretty good photo of both the sky (2) and the door (1). I had some cleanup work to do also as the 2 side panels weren't balanced and needed some elements to balance out. I also added several long spring green curly vines as I love that kind of movement. I have temporarily blocked out the stone pathway which I will work on tomorrow.
If I had it to do over, I would have eliminated the seams in the center panel...oh well. live and learn.
AND NOW.......
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
Flower carpet in the Grand-Place in Brussels made of mainly begonias and dahlias grown in Belgium.
A different carpet of flowers has been made every August for about 25 years.
"The Flower Carpet is 70 m long by 24 m wide. 1,680 m2 of begonias, dahlias, grass and bark. More than a hundred volunteers assemble the carpet in less than six hours. The first Flower Carpet of Brussels was created in 1971 and has been a showstopper every two years on the Grand-
Place since 1986. "
Another example:
Making beautiful things, however ephemeral, is one of the best things that makes us human.
Stay cool!
I am linking up with the following great linky sites:
Slow stitching Sunday https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/
To-Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Finished or Not Friday at http://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/
Off the Wall Friday at http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
Whoop Whoop Fridays at http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com








Your painted door, sky and walk are gorgeous! The flower garden is truly Zen as well as beautiful! What an amazing piece of living art!
ReplyDelete