Wednesday, August 19, 2020

LONGARM LEARNING NOT JUST ON TUESDAY


Merry Mice from Helen Godden's Midnight Magic BOM.  Painted with Jacquard Lumiere paints on a muted black scroll fabric from Timeless Treasures and micro quilted with 50 wt aurafil.  I loooove the colors in this block .  The painted area is about 8.5 inches or 2.3 cm.

Speaking of centimetres, did you know that only 3 countries in the entire world are not on the metric system?  Of course, the US is not.  Also Burma and Liberia.  That's it.  Kind of embarrassing to be so backwards.  I notice on Amazon, lots of articles show measurement in metric.  My daughter in India writes about the heat saying it is 42 degrees...I mean...how bad could that be...well in Fahrenheit that is almost 108.  I am making an effort to learn the metric system ...one more way of being in touch with the rest of the world.

Usually Missouri is hot and steamy in August but the past week or so has been about 80 degrees with lower humidity.  It has been lovely weather.  It is humidity that takes such a toll and makes life so hard.  Humidity makes winter colder and summer hotter.

Next on my quilting agenda is my 12 calendar blocks.  I am always nervous I will just ruin my beautiful work with some lame quilting job but generally turns out okay.  The nervousness makes me procrastinate.

AND NOW....
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN

 Cakes beyond your wildest dreams



Tortik Annushka is a Moscow-based, cake designer who also has a school for pastry chefs and on line classes for aspiring cake designers.  Google her or check one of her media sites for more of these unbelievable masterpieces.





And just in case you thought this was a big hoax and nothing so beautiful or realistic could be a cake, I give this:

Pretty amazing and pretty fun.

Post linking up with:
Patchwork and Quilt at www.quiltingpatch.blogspot.com 
Sew and Tell Monday with Bambi at http://bambisyr-evaj.blogspot.com/
Monday Making at http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/
Design Wall Monday at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

Keep creating, stay well, stay cheerful




14 comments:

  1. Those cakes are amazing! Your quilted block is very cute, you've done a great job with the quilting. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cakes are amazing works of art. To think they are cut into and devoured after all that work. Your block is amazing, too. In agreeance with you re the colours, they are beautiful. We are always our own worse enemy when it comes to the 'art' we do. It's funny how we procrastinate but after we start and get going our piece always seems to turn out fabulously. Aah yes...America and the imperial measurement system of yours. Because everything to do with quilting is imperial, I feel I have my feet in both worlds. I find the metric system so much easier in everyday life. Then there is the question of spelling and the differences......oh you Americans. =))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cakes look far too good to eat!

    Have fun learning the metric system! I was lucky that Australia went metric when I was quite young. I was always really bad at working out maths problems about area, weight and the like, as I couldn't remember how many ounces were in a pound, or yards in a mile, etc. When we went metric and it was all base 10, suddenly I could do all the maths and didn't feel so stupid! By the way, your conversion of 8.5 inches has the decimal point in the wrong place, which is one hazard of base 10 maths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mice are adorable! We're getting great weather over here in KS, too. (I hate the normal humidity of August!) I even had the windows open for a while today to air out the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing cakes! Especially that last one - such fun. Lovely painted and quilted block Pam, gorgeous colours and the quilting is amazing. I still think in inches and feet as that is how I do my patchwork - I have to find a tape measure if I need to know cms! Still have a lot of old recipes in lb's and ounces too. I do think temperatures in centigrade though. Of course in UK is is still miles but I have rather got used to kilometers here in France - there may be more of them but they go by quicker! I have been putting off doing some 1/2" circular applique berries but had to bite the bullet yesterday and they came out better than I thought. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 1/2 inches is 21 1/2 Centameters, You had me going I had to Google it because I couldn’t believe 2.1 was correct. By the way I very much enjoy your blog it is really always interesting. This piece of appliqué is exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam, your micro-quilting is great! your piece really looks great with the quilting and the paint. Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. I hope that you get to enjoy the cooler weather (we are getting almost cold weather but I'm trying not to complain because we are bound to get some more heat before the fall. As long as I can keep wearing my sandals, I'm happy :-) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We use metric here at our place, it is hard though here in the US. I love the colours in your block too. Beautiful contrast. I could hardly believe that those are cakes. In a strange way, they make me think of really gorgeous dresses...in a museum!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I love that boxy little background fill that you quilted behind the mice. I’ve seen similar quilting designs to that on a much larger scale, but it looks completely different and very interesting quilted small and tight. Second, the idea that YOU could “ruin” anything with your quilting makes me chuckle. I love how your painting, appliqué, embroidery, and quilting are always so interrelated. Often when you see a finished quilt, it’s like two separate designs: the pieced or appliquéd top is one design and then the quilting is a separate design superimposed on top. Sometimes the quilting design complements the pieced design, other times they seem to fight one another. But in your work, when I see the finished piece, it’s a unified whole and I can’t imagine any other way of quilting it than what you’ve chosen to do.

    Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam. Your art is just gorgeous. I do use the metric system in my business but am use to the USCS we all grew up on in the US. It is interesting to know how many countries don't use the metric system. Now for those cakes. OMGosh. I don't think I could cut into them. LOL Just stunning and the last one is awe taking. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never did applique in sewing. It one of my goal to learn to applique...PPF

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing cakes Cute quilt blocks lovely quilting well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam :) Oh your quilt is beautiful! You have a lot of talent there! We're metric, but it's funny, I don't use the metric system when I'm baking...still use cups, tsp, tbsp and F for the oven!! :) 42???? EEEK...poor daughter in that heat! Now that cake art is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete