Saturday, August 1, 2020

LANGUID WEEPING WILLOW IN THE AUGUST HEAT

At least there is a stream in which to cool off or perhaps go fishing.  The little mice are playing in the marshy area among the cattails.  
My aim was to use washed out greens and even some gold-greens for the leaves to show that summer is moving towards an end, things are dying out, losing their bright summer looks.  The leaves are pointing downwards to contribute to the lazy, slow summer feel.

August was my most stubborn problem child.  No background was right and the foreground was too blue or too green, and the mice always hid in the fabric. After a lot of trial and error I arrived at this final version.

Lots of water side vegetation.  Do you like my pretty ceramic fish?  When I get to the crazy quilting part of this which is seeming like my life's work, there will be more of these small delights among the 
rest of stitching activity. 


I am thinking now about the quilting.  I will machine quilt it but not sure what size thread.  Maybe 100 wt wonderfil invisafil?  I have used that before and my Tiara, Queenie,  likes that thread.  I might use a few colors like pale blue, pale gold, pale pink or maybe just use a light cream as invisafil sinks into the fabric.

*********

All set up to begin fabric painting.  I am painting Helen Godden's Midnight Magic BOM.  You can see more on her webpage https://helengodden.com/store/midnight-magic-bom-2020/.  Her class prices are listed in Aussie dollars which translate into about 66 to 75 cents in US dollars depending on the currency values at that moment.  She has excellent painting and quilting videos for each block

 
******************

This photo reminds me of my father who was born in 1911.  He was in 1st and 2nd grade in San Francisco at the time of the 1918 -1920 pandemic.  He told me everyone in school wore masks for most of this period.  Here it is 100 years later and we are back at it.

****************

AND NOW
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN

Incredible moths...first the dead leaf moth in brown and then the walking leaf moth in green.  Photographs by Robert Clark.
These camouflage experts are fascinating.  Here are some more:



And then there is this moth which is just plain amazing.

I am linking up with these wonderful quilt sites

BOMs Away at https://www.katiemaequilts.com/blog/
Sew and Tell Monday with Bambi at http://bambisyr-evaj.blogspot.com/
Monday Making at http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/
Design Wall Monday at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
Colour and Inspiration at https://www.cleverchameleon.com.au/blog/


Keep creating, stay well, stay cheerful



17 comments:

  1. That photo is not much different from today, just the clothing, right?! Lovely photos and a beautiful block!! Love the individual leaves and the cattails.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pam. I know how you struggled with this block, but you really nailed it in the end. You have captured these sweltering, stagnant days at the end of summer perfectly. And yes, the critter details just push it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at creating these beautiful scenes, you've captured August! I can almost feel the heat radiating and the coolness of the shade under the tree. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, just look at all those wonderful leaves! The little mice are sweet and yes the little fish is perfect. It sounds as if you know what quilting you quilting you will do. I look forward to following the progress....oh...and all the pretty details you will add with the crazy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your weeping willow is stunning! and the fish is so perfect. Those tiny little mice... too cute, and the mask photo - that is really cool!! Do you think they ever wondered how long it would take to be *over* as well? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful weeping willow and I love the little fish. The moths are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Your tree block is awesome! All the colors strongly suggest it's summer...
    Not too fond of bugs...they are beautiful in their own right. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh Pam... I came in thru Thur.13 but see you are an art quilter... me too. I signed up to get your posts thru email. Love your tree. I'm going to follow your helen Goden link, I met her at Houston once she's very talented and approachable.
    I did two willow trees in art quilts, very different from your lovely, but I am partial to them.
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  9. forgot to say, I love the photo and personal glimpse of your grandfather... one of the women has her mask under her nose!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There were a lot of closings in 1952 Polio epidemic in SATX! This is an interesting picture! Should be shown all over the US so people pay attention! Stay Safe! Love all of your blocks! beautiful work Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaand another gorgeous one done... BRAVO Pam, it's so beautiful. I so much admire your persistence.
    Beautiful pictures, as well, and I love the picture with the masks, too :)
    Stay safe, take care !
    xoxoxo
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fish, mice, leaves, colors, stitching, paints, and all, individually and together, are so cool, Pam! So many fun details! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fabulous block. Your thoughtful process may lead to some frustration, but also to amazing blocks.

    As to the moths: fascinating but, eww. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your embroidered blocks are amazing and beautiful! And I like the bugs too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your willow tree and mice are amazing! I always think of willows as being a greyish-green color though I remember in spring and early summer they can also have the yellowish-green color. Your choice of colors for August is perfect!
    Nature is so amazing. Those moths -- wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another beautiful block, and I love all the details. Cute fish!
    Beautiful insects too 😉
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lot went into this block, and it is beautiful!
    I love the insect photos...so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete