Friday, March 27, 2020

LIFE IN THE TIME OF CORONA-
DAY 10

This is October's block in my calendar quilt.  All (?) that remains to be added is the silk ribbon embroidery of the leaves and some gardening in the grass.  This was a very difficult background to find.  I had to turn the fabric on its side so the sky looks striated.  I also stuffed the pumpkins to plump them out a bit.

I am setting this project aside for a week or so while I paint and quilt 3 blocks from my other project-Helen Godden's Midnight Madness.  She challenges us with each new project to improve our skills.  This project will refine our ability to blend paints and also to free motion quilt on a small quilt-almost micro quilting.  Each image will be 9 inches in diameter or, our choice, enlarged to a bigger size.  I am doing a practice square for the micro quilting.  Here is my beginning and I will show you later the micro quilting-just a trial to see if 9 inches is feasible for me.

*****
Our mayor has closed down city services and encouraged shops and businesses to close.  Many people in rural Missouri have adopted the original message that the corona virus is a hoax to bring the economy down so there is not a lot of cooperation.  The people who don't believe in science and expert opinion are the ones who are putting themselves at the most risk.

Here is an interesting factoid about the corona virus which also appeals to my love of the english language:

"Coronaviruses are a family of so-called “enveloped viruses”. This means they are coated in an oily coat, known as a lipid bilayer, studded with proteins that stick out like spikes of a crown, helping to give them their name – corona is Latin for crown."

I believe that the quote above was from the NYT.  Also, the reason that hand washing is so beneficial is because soap breaks down this fatty, oily layer.  

*****
Here is my daughter Mary who lives in northern India in her Hannibal Lector mask:

And here she is without.  She doesn't have any makeup on.  She just has always had beautiful skin and a lovely natural complexion.

******

YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
A moment of reflection, humor, or beauty in these trying times 

A new, improved, more useful clock for our times


Of course, since my husband and I retired, we have had to resort to checking the days on our weekly pill containers which works fine if we are both on the same day!
Happy Creating!

I am linking up with:


Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog, Making Monday,  Em's Scrapbag, 
Midweek Makers, Whoop Whoop, Finish or Not!, and Off the Wall Friday.


11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work, Pam ! Love your use of batik as a background, as well as your attention to detail...
    You must be very proud of your daughter.

    The situation here is getting worse with more than 1000 victims in only 24 hours, so the confinement rules have been strengthened and prolonged until end of May. People are taking things seriously and are confident about the scientists opinions. Our medical personnel are so courageous, even if they're lacking basic materials (like masks, etc) and they're exhausted... hope , love, and faith...

    Heartful thoughts to you, dear Pam,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. The background fabric of your pretty tree is perfect. I am enjoying seeing each one of your trees grow under the guidance of your clever stitching fingers. The people who are not taking the coronavirus seriously need to take a peek into the hospitals where doctors and nurses are rushed off their feet, as they try to help those who are suffering. The indifference of some people is alarming. As a gal who adores the English language and the rhythym of words, I love the Coronavirus definition. On a lighter note, your daughter is glowing, and is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss your trees, but micro quilting is on my list of skills to learn, so I'll enjoy them too.

    Now if only the virus knew to attack only the fools who defy social distancing . . . but alas, they spread it to the careful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy you are back to blogging. I love your trees. I used to get the Piecemaker Calendar-- I'll have to dig mine out.
    I also live in Missouri, but up here in northeastern MO (Kirksville), most of us are listening to our mayor who asked us (he has no authority) to stay home as much as possible. So far we have only one casse (a man who went to Chicago and came home sick), but a doctor from Columbia came to the cancer clinic and treated several patients before discovering he had the virus, so I'm afraid some of those vulnerable people will soon be diagnosed.
    Stay inside and keep stitching. Love your daughter's maks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is so beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little owl is so cute - another lovely block Pam. Good luck with the quilting and thank you for the coronavirus quote. Bautiful daughter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first reaction to the entire post was a series of wows. I love your tree, and not just because I am a Halloween freak. :) That background fabric is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tree and beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful stitching on both projects! Enjoy your new project, it's not always fun to work on new skills, but it feels so satisfying when you get to the end and can see improvement. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your October block is lovely! That background is stunning and so is your stitching. Can't wait to see your Midnight Madness with the micro quilting. What a great practice piece! Thanks for linking up to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    I can't fathom the people who are in such denial. Stay safe and as far away as you can from such silly people. Hugs dear friend!

    ReplyDelete