Tuesday, March 31, 2020

LIFE IN THE TIME OF CORONA-
DAY 14
March block-beginning of spring




Bird nest with eggs

Dangerous cat among the spring flowers

My first trial run at ribbon embroidery. I like the leaves on the dandelions and the tree leaves are okay but I feel I should have made them sparser as the green on spring trees looks like a haze of green rather than lots of leaves. I like the kitty-he looks like my orange cat Yoshi who bites therefore he is an outdoor cat but basically a sweetie.

Speaking of the color "orange" and given my love of the English language, I have some interesting information on this color.  Or rather, not the color itself, but how English speakers thought of this color.

From Arts and Collections:

we read the following:

"Before the 15th century, the colour orange did not have a name in Europe; it was simply called yellow-red. Portuguese merchants brought the first orange trees to Europe from Asia in the late 15th and early 16th century, along with the Sanskrit, naranga—which became ‘naranja’ in Spanish and ‘laranja’ in Portuguese."

So from the fruit, comes the description of the color orange. And the concept of seeing it as a separate color.

******
Before and after micro quilting of fox block


I like it. The fox circle is 9" across so the area is small.  It is a different matter to paint on a block that has been painted and to quilt on the paint with chocolate brown.  

It is a moot point tho.  I cut my fabric into the nine squares I would need and marveled at the amount of cloth left over.  Yes, yes, I know....measure twice and cut once.  I hate it when my brain goes on a holiday.  So this project is kaput for a while as I as forced to reorder more black fabric and, when it arrives, it will have to spend a week in quarantine (40 days!) to see if it has corona. Ribbon embroidery it will be-start with the simplest.

******
I find it unforgivable that when it comes to distributing critical medical supplies to the states, the government favors some states over others.  He freely admits this, saying some states have governors who have been critical of the government actions. Some states such as Florida,  received 100% of their requested supplies and others such a New York, Michigan, and Washington, receive a portion of their requested supplies (per the NY Times and the Washington Post).

******

Shake it off!!! and now:

YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
A moment of reflection, humor, or beauty in these trying times 

A beautiful bridge to connect opposing sides



Happy Creating!

I am linking up with:
Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog, Making Monday,  Em's Scrapbag, 
Midweek Makers, Whoop Whoop, Finish or Not!, and Off the Wall Friday.




8 comments:

  1. Hasn't your president heard of the concept of people having different opinions!! Truly, he sounds like a spoilt child! But....back to lovely things. Your tree is amazing. Love the sweet butterfly buttons/beads and the birdies and nest. The cat is fabulous. He really looks as if he is itching to get to those birdies. The ribbon leaves looks great and as for your fox; such a fabulous design and clever stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the leaves look beautiful! And your cat looks so realistic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ribbon stitch is lovely! Your quilting looks great too - shame about the mis-cutting. Super cat. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your trees - they look great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful block.
    I liked the fox before the additional stitching. The additional stitching took it to a whole other level.
    That zen pic is amazing. So tranquil and yet interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did ribbon embroidery eons ago it seems...and no it wasn’t February though that does seem eons ago these days. It was over 20 years ago and I enjoyed it but only ever did one piece which I have to my mum. Your piece is just so so beautiful. I gazed for some time at it; I love the cat swirling around the tree, so lifelike! I have no words for that man baby and even more today for what he is doing to Canada and Latin America. Thank you for linking this up with DrEAMi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trees are so beautiful! Love the details, and the leaves!
    I'm so sorry, I had to delete your link in my linky party, as it's open only to the blogging challenge A to Z :(

    ReplyDelete