Tuesday, March 24, 2020



LIFE IN THE TIME OF CORONA-
DAY 7



Theses block are January with all the snow .  This is a hawthorne tree.  We found one of these on our walks this winter as we hiked thru the snow.  

How is everyone doing?  Well I hope and not too troubled by stay at home or with children staying at home.  It would be difficult to home school kids  when they miss their friends and cannot get out to play much.

One of my favorite bloggers is the loveliest lady in Belgium-Nadine.  Like a lot of us, she has let the blogging habit lapse.  She sent me some of her thoughts which really stuck a cord with me:


and I cannot help thinking that maybe, just maybe, we all are given a chance to reflect on our way of living, of excessive, useless consumerism... and then also some important "what if"...
what if we turned to a simpler life ?
What if we privileged small, local producers ?
What if we came back to a "make do" state of mind ?
What if we stopped a moment and focused on contentment, gratitude, respect ? 
 As à quilter, it's no secret I have more than once been tempted with the latest fabrics, the latest patterns, the latest quilt books, etc... that are now neatly stashed and sleeping on my shelves. It's human... however, being now forced to stay home, and make-do with what I have, I realise that the less you have, the more creative you become. You start making your brains work harder, you let your imagination take the lead, and the result is sometimes magical !
Let's take the challenge we are now living as an opportunity to focus on essential values, and show our children, our young generations, that these are the secrets to a happier life...

You can find Nadine"s blog   :http://asewingnana.blogspot.com/

******
Here are a couple of photos of another of my creations-My daughter Mary......



She reminds me of a ballet dancer when she does her yoga.  Isn't that a beautiful dress.  It was a gift from one of her ESL students and is a silk dress from China.
******
One of my passions is the English language.  I love how English has so many roots-from Latin, German, French, Indian (shampoo, pajamas, khaki from when England ruled the waves).  I love to trace these roots and figure out words. I came across an interesting and timely word the other day-quarantine.  This word derives from Italian.  Quarantine comes from quaranta giorni which means 40 days and was the amount of days people had to be isolated during the plague when entering a new city.
******
The wonderful small quilt shop in our town had to close its doors to customers tho they take online orders and deliver to curb orders.  The White Flower quilt shop has huge amounts of beautiful fabric.  They are also being very community conscious organizing a drive, on behalf of our local doctors and nurses,  for face masks and gowns.  The provide patterns and a collection spot.  Good on them!  Give them a look see.


******
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
A moment of reflection, humor, or beauty in these trying times 

I believe the dancer is Ashley Shaw-she who can defy gravity.  I like this photo because it combines elements never put together.


Happy Creating!

I am linking up with:


Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog, Making Monday,  Em's Scrapbag, 
Midweek Makers, Whoop Whoop, Finish or Not!, and Off the Wall Friday.


9 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this block is so peaceful and beautiful ! And your embroidery is exquisite... that little bird.
    Thank you for posting, dear Pam, you are always such an inspiration :))
    I'll be back soon on blogland, as promised, just give me some days, as m'y PC is at the technician's (hard drive replacement) and I have to find a way of getting it back home... so now I'm using hubby's I-Pad and it's a bit tricky to me.
    Stay safe, dear friend !
    In stitches...
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful tree! Your daughter looks so elegant doing her yoga. Our 7 year old grandson doesn't seem to miss school much. I think he's enjoying being at home with his parents, playing with his younger brother and visiting us more often. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful block Pam. Very nice quotes from Nadine and very pertinent. I am already rumaging through my stash for fabric for a cot quilt which normally I would have ordered online. I sometimes feel sad that such expensive fabrics go into making quilts when the art and craft developed to use scraps and pieces that people already had. I am trying to support online suppliers where I can but actually, I really dont need a lot of what is on sale. Stay safe and well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another nice block. OMGosh your daughter looks like a ballet dancer. Gosh she sure is limber. I have been thinking I should give yoga a try.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely embroidery work, and yes, this is definitely a time for reflection on what's important

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your January block, and it's wonderful to see your beautiful daughter, too. I think that second photo of her doing yoga could be the inspiration for a lovely art quilt, you know, if her mom was the creative type or anything... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tree block! I just embroidered a tree. I might have to find a way to add a scene behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tree block. And yes I have been thinking the same things as your blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very thoughtful piece from Nadine. Thank you for sharing it. Love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete