STONEFIELDS QUILT
AKA CHUCK,SUSAN, AND ME
2016...I may have finished the blocks then and the assembly but.....I have told you of the terror in my heart when it comes to quilting. Projects sit and mellow as I work up my courage. I quilted this in sections (sort of a large quilt as you go). As I look at it now I like it. Each block is quilted differently and I used lots of different kinds.
The Chuck, Susan, and me block is in the center. I bought the pattern for, gulp, $200 in 2015-I don't know what is charged for it now but that was a lot for me then. After I opened and looked at the pattern I was pretty disappointed as the pattern consists of so many repeats in different colors. I just did not see how I could make myself do all the repeats. I have seen beautiful Stonefields but my mind does no work that way.
I had a wonderful by by Chuck Nohara "2001 New Blocks" published by Quiltmania (I miss them). The Me part is my block designs. The ratio is roughly 1/3 for each of us with the weight going to Chuck which is why she gets first billing. Susan is second as the concept was her. I am last but not least.
This quilt was my favorite to make. Lots of different techniques were used like Broderie Perse like the 2 red vase flower blocks above. There are mine as is the owl and the hot air balloon.
Another technique is to use the design in the fabric as the block or as an insert-for instance the pink rose block or the pink cameo block clipped from toile featuring people.
This also shows some broderie perse as well as in patterned flower fabric. The basket is mine and was very tricky to make to get the perspective correct.

The fish block is mine and also a favorite. I found some fish fabric and some shell fabric and embroidered some sea weed. I don't know if you can see it but the big yellow fish in the center is eye to eye with a fish hook on a line from an unseen boat.
Two things I especially like are both mine-the girl in the rain with the fabric forming the rain and the house block which reminds me a lot of my house: rock front, chimney gabled brown roof.
I thought the little house was an interesting use of fabric. I built a little house for the 3 girls with pink check curtains, a gray kitty, and a stone walkway.
The two love birds are from Chuck's book-I love them.
The wonderful sleeping cat was from Chuck's book but I added the dream.
Here are just some random photos of the quilt:
Weekly progress report on the inktense Secret Garden: just have the hinges to paint on then ready to back and bind. I feel some quilting will be needed to keep all the layers in place .....we will all know next week-I don't know either so it will be a surprise for everyone.
AND NOW...
YOUR MONENT OF ZEN
Here is some cool patterned cityscapes:
Amsterdam
Barcelona
I am linking up with the following great linky sites:
Slow stitching Sunday https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/
Design Wall Monday at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
To-Do Tuesday at Quilt Schmilt
Finished or Not Friday at http://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/
Off the Wall Friday at http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
Frederique at https://quiltingpatch.blogspot.com/
















Amazing work! I wish I had your patience and persistence.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt! I loved looking at so many blocks up close - and your personal touches in it. I get stuck on the quilting step, too, which definitely slows down the finishes!
ReplyDelete