Monday, June 1, 2020

LIFE IN OUR TIME

Who is counting the days until the end of this?  There will be no going back to "the good old days"

We are still doing well though I still worry about my daughter in India.  I stay busy.  I have been working on my tree calendar quilt but took some time out to work on a FREE Helen Godden project.


Helen's nine patch pattern was designed primarily as free motion quilting lessons.  She quilted hers on some pretty batiks and encouraged us to paint the designs or applique them or whatever.  I painted mine with prismacolor pencils with a fixative.  Here is the link to find that pattern AND all her wonderful videos demonstrating techniques.


I needed a break from the labor intensive tree quilt. I came back refreshed and solved the questions of my 3 problem children (Aug, Feb, and Nov).  I show you August now as it was the most troublesome of all and I like how it resolved.  The goal was to find background which evoked a still, hot, dusty summer day-I did not achieve that and the finished sky is more turbulent than i wanted.


The little figures in the forefront are mice.  The silk embroidered leaves will all hang downwards which will give the tree a languid air.  Here are the ribbons I choose to be the leaves-they have an end of summer look with washed out greens and some copper.

There is lots of embroidery on these blocks with silk ribbon, 6 strand embroidery thread, and perle cottons. 

I have almost finished april which is a cherry blossom tree.

*******************
And now
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
This looks like a fractal

Stay well and wear your mask!

I am linking up with:
Slow Stitching Sunday, Bambi's Blog, Making Monday,  Em's Scrapbag, 
Midweek Makers, Whoop Whoop, Finish or Not!, and Off the Wall Friday.

12 comments:

  1. I don't think what is going on in the world is going to change any time soon; and I too think that life will never be as it was. It is good for us creative types to immerse ourselves in the beauty of whatever it is we are working on at the time. Your flower quilt is beyond beautiful. Each flower you have painted and stitched is stunning. As for your August tree is turned out great. Those little mice are sweet. Perhaps the turbulent sky is a reflection of these times. Oh that staircase in the Lapalice Castle; how stunning it is. The photo is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree block looks amazing -- I think the sky looks kind of "moody." I'll bet it's the kind of thing where you see it differently depending on what mood YOU'RE in. Love the details of the cattails and mice. Your painted flower project looks great, too. I have been thinking about your daughter in India. If they can send "viruses" over the Internet, surely we can send love -- I'm sending some to you now. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree blocks are so beautiful! It's good you have a project you can immerse yourself in. I'm realizing more and more the old 'normal' world is gone. I'm praying for major changes to happen for a better 'normal' world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pam,
    I'm sooo glad, seeing your post ! I worried about you…
    Now I see that you were busy doing your wonderful sewing, as Always, and I'm glad :)
    I understand you needed a break from your intensive work on your calendar trees, I personnaly needed a break from my "Sweet Surrender", although it's still on my working table, not far from me…
    I do hope you'll get good news from your daughter, and I wish you the best.
    Stay safe, take care my friend !
    In stitches,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Both of your projects are just so beautiful! Fun to try out a few different freehand techniques. A bit of a job with the tree-blocks, so many details. I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your painted blooms!! I have inktense pencils and have been wanting to play but haven't had the inspiration or time. But perhaps I have the inspiration now;) I'll go check out the link, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really pretty - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paint quilt is lovely, beautiful quilting designs. All your trees are beautiful, and I can't wait to see the cherry blossom one!
    Thank you for linking with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your tree block. Each is more lovely than the last. Your painted flowers are wonderful--what a great side project to destress from troublesome trees! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flower quilt is gorgeous Pam. The tree is going to be beautiful with all its beautiful leaves. Love the staircase. Stay well and I think of your daughter often. xx

    ReplyDelete