Sunday, June 21, 2020

TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING


This block is the month of October.  You remember this was one of my problem children.  The difficulty was in finding a good sky for October to match the mood and the colors.  This is one of my favorites.  I love the pumpkins, the owl, the beautiful colors of the leaves.  I will show you lots of photos of the leaves so you can see the colors.


I am not to patient with the photography.  You have to weigh the time spent perfecting the photos with the desire to create.



I stuffed the pumpkins so they had some dimension.




Lots of photos as I said.  Making these leaves is very time consuming. I used to spent at least 5 hours a day on my applique and associated techniques but as I age, my energy level is down so it takes longer to accomplish what would have only taken me a couple days.  Frustrating is what that feels like.

Though as I think of age, I think of how life in America used to be when I was young. Trump is really the last bastion between some older people who want the times of their youth, and the reality of who America is today.  I feel badly for people who feel the times have betrayed them yet it is the young people who will have to live in this world and the future world, not we older people.  

Here are a few of the immense challenges with which tomorrow's people will have to deal:

Climate change
Water loss in marginal areas leading to forced immigration
Automation and loss of employment
Roles of men as automation takes away blue collar work
Changing shapes of families
Overpopulation, crowding, density
Lack of resources-who gets to eat, who gets healthy climate
Inequality by color, by sex, by education
Inequity of wealth

These challenges will no go away by looking backwards and wishing it were no so.  

I don't intend this as a political statement.  A statement of fact is what is intended.  Friends have told me I think to much.  Maybe so, as I sit and stitch silk leaves trying to create something hopeful in these hard 2020 times.

****************
AND NOW...
YOUR MOMENT OF ZEN
I love fun fashion so here are some dresses by French designer Sylvie Facon





Oh to be young again and wear one of these beautiful dresses!
Sylvie's imagination and artistry beggars the rest of us.

****************
I am linking up with these wonderful quilt sites

BOMs Away at https://www.katiemaequilts.com/blog/
Sew and Tell Monday with Bambi at http://bambisyr-evaj.blogspot.com/
Monday Making at http://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/
Design Wall Monday at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
Colour and Inspiration at https://www.cleverchameleon.com.au/blog/


Keep creating, stay well, stay cheerful


15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work on the tree, and gorgeous dresses. I haven't started this Piecemakers calendar quilt yet, though I have the kit. So many projects, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Fall tree, very pretty. Cute owl! Thanks for sharing those beautiful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tree it is beautiful I wish I had the talent to creat something half as nice, I feel your frustration we are living in very disturbing times. Those dresses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The October tree is so beautiful! All those leaves! I think this is the best tree yet! You don't think too much, you are facing the facts. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect background fabric. Did you use a variegated silk ribbon for the leaves or did you randomly changed ribbon? Beautiful whatever you did. I love that owl:)

    Those dresses are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, PAm, each new tree is even more beautiful ! You're doing amazing/embroidery work. Such tiny leaves, such patience ! I'm feeling very humble in front of this art work...
    Art work for these gorgeous dresses, too. Oh, to be young again and wear one of these, indeed :)

    Your challenges list for the coming generations . It is very inspiring, and common to the whole world. It leads to some serious and quiet meditation. THANKS for that too, my friend !

    In stitches and hope,
    xoxo
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, what works of art each one of those gorgeous dresses are. AND....what a gorgeous work of art your Autumn block is! All those tiny, perfect ribbon leaves are amazing. The work in your Autumn piece is beautiful. The background fabric is perfect. I think one cannot help but to think deeply about this world we live in today. As you say, so many problems for the younger generation to nut out and begin to put right. We cannot live in yesterday's world; new solutions need to be found and intelligent, forward thinking leaders placed in positions to begin the process of problem solving and implementing changes. I don't envy the younger generation at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your October block is gorgeous. All those leaves must have taken ages to do, but they look brilliant. Worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful block your work is amazing, the dresses are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tree blocks are amazing! The ribbon work is very time consuming and so worth it for the beautiful leaves created! Love the creative dress photos you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I totally agree with you on the ageing process slowing you down. I'm 68 now and it seems to take me lots longer to make a quilt. But I still enjoy the process..so keep quilting on. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colours in those leaves are so gorgeous, the tree looks beautiful and I love your stuffed pumpkins and wise owl. We are fortunate to have lived when we did - but then I think every generation thinks that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Pam, the colours of your sky are really wonderful. Wow, you don't have the patience to take photos but you sure have tons of patience for applique! Those individual leaves are as big as the pin's head! Your block is really amazing - no wonder it's your favourite! And thanks so much for sharing Sylvie Facon's art - her dresses are incredible! Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks - hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your work is amazing. All those rich colours and the fabulous textures. A work of art, just like those amazing dresses. Thanks for linking up with the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That background for the Oct block is perfect. You're doing amazing embroidery and applique work on these blocks. What fabulous dresses!

    ReplyDelete